2.20.2011

**.. headaches ..**

I have always had an issue with headaches, technically they are neck aches.  I always assume that they are stress induced and try to keep myself relatively calm.  Not very easy though.  On Wednesday this week I had one start so I took an ibuprofen and went on with my day.  I hate taking pain meds so I always try to suffer through them.  On Thursday it was still there so after my brothers basketball game we went to Wal-Mart and I got some extra strength Tylenol.  I took one and we got in the hot tub.  I took a shower then went to bed and I felt okay.  Friday I had to teach and then work (waitress) very stressful day.  My headache/neck ache was pretty bad so I took 1 Tylenol early in the day then one before bed.  Over these days I would also heat and ice my neck and sit in my massage chair.  Nothing seemed to really help.

Saturday was really bad for some reason.  Jack had a game and I went to that.  I took a Tylenol while I was there (close game, very tense).  Then went to Wal-Mart with my dad, debating on whether or not to tell him about my dream, which I didn't and haven't yet.  Came home and watched tv and just tried to relax.  Jason came home and we decided to see 'Just Go With It' (very good we both loved it).  Well we got there at the last minute and had to sit at the end in the very first row.  Did not help my neck situation.

We came home and I couldn't take it anymore.  Jason started to rub it and I just started bawling.  I called my parents and asked what I should do, my dad said he had some pain pills from his headaches and I could take one of those and we could get in the hot tub.  (He had called our family doctor and he said that's the same things he would have called in for me.)  I had contemplated going to the emergency room but thought I was just freaking out.  Maybe I should sleep on it and see how it goes in the morning.  I couldn't go to my parents and I was even afraid to go to the er at that time because the thought of traveling made me nervous.

I called my doctor at home after my dad talked to him (best doctor ever) and he asked me some questions.  Said it was probably just muscle spasms but he would call in a prescription for a muscle relaxor.   He asked if I had taken anything and I said, "I have taken 3 Tylenol in the past 4 days." and he laughed at me.  He said, "Kaitlin, you know you can take 8-10 of those a day."  I said, "I know but I hate taking meds."

Jason went to Walgreens at 11 and got my prescription for me and a heat patch to stick on my neck.  When he got home I took one and went to bed.  He slept on the couch so I could have the whole bed (so nice!).  I woke up this morning around 5 to a text from my mom at 4:17 am asking if I was awake.  I was so tired I didn't text her back.  Talked to her later today and she said I had a dream that I was crying so she called to check on me, how sweet is that?!

Jason called my mom this morning to say that I couldn't work and asked if she would let my boss know.  They really helped me out a lot today.  Jason talked to my parents last night because I was crying and then sleeping, he really helped a lot.  He got up and went grocery shopping this morning then suggested we go out and see my family since my parents were gone last week.  Very nice.  We spent a couple hours out there and it was very relaxing.

Now I am sitting at home and I feel okay, kind of nervous that it will come back.  If it comes back I am going to go get x-rays to see if I have something more serious wrong.  Praying it goes away.

3 comments:

karen said...

Oh, Kaitlin. Headaches really stink! They run in my family ... I've always refused to call mine migraines as a method to ward off anything worse ... but a couple of mine this year have been brutal.

I hate taking meds too ... and tylenol has no effect, for me or my sisters. Sometimes a 222 does the trick, though. That's a mix of asprin (gasp! I know, right?!) with a bit of codeine.

But sometimes mine can't be addressed by the over the counter meds, so I just have to tough it through. Brutal.

I know you said yours are related to your neck, but have you noticed weather changes -- from super clear to overcast or vice versa, or constant changes, triggering yours? Some people (me) find that the barometric changes are pretty horrible ...

Yesterday my guy said, wow, I can see why you are not really fond of sunny weather! and it is true. I get the worst of mine on the clearest of days and am happier when it is cloudy, stormy, gloomy! funny eh? Good thing I live on the wet coast (Vancouver).

Feel better soon!

karen said...

I'm in Canada, eh?! Sometimes you can tell from my spelling, I refuse to back down to the Microserf domination thing!!!

Most of my headaches stem from my sinuses ... and a lack of sleep, and stress, and not eating well and ... well ... I find that I'm more immune from the long lasting ones when I am taking better care of me. One of my sisters also gets them, and they have decreased as her children have grown older (so she got more sleep!) so ... I'm holding out hope.

I think one thing that helped in the past was some chiropractic work, but I am terrified of letting them crack my neck, so I set a limit there.

Btw, you can find me at yeepoa at gmail dot com too (or use that to find me on FB). Glad that muscle relaxant did the trick.

karen

Erin said...

I feel your pain--literally! Have you ever seen a chiropractor? My headaches also stem from my neck and my Chiro took X-rays that revealed that the discs in my neck aren't spaced properly. The pressure is what causes the migraines. Since I've started seeing him regularly, he's really cut down on my head and neck pain!