1.14.2011

**.. LISTEN .. **

Today I taught gym for grades k-5.  It was exhausting.  Since I am so young I know most of these kids pretty well.  I think they feel like they don't have to listen to me because they see me as an older sister, instead of a teacher.  Which does not work to my advantage.  I blow the wistle and they just keep talking and rambling on.  Then each kid asks me what we are doing because no one can hear.  It's ridiculous.

I can give out 'negative minus points' or detentions, but I don't want to.  I want gym to be fun and I want everyone to like me.  BUT I need to be respected and I shouldn't have to yell so much.  Should I start using they punishments to get that respect I deserve?!  I hate to harp on this point but it is important, I volunteer to teach gym here.  They can not afford a gym teacher so I put up with all of this stuff out of the kindness of my heart!  Which only makes it more difficult, because I don't even get paid to deal with this crap!

2 comments:

Morgan said...

I would totally use them! I think show them who's boss, then focus on having fun. :)

Mama Bear said...

Maybe having a class time out for someone who is not listening or not behaving. Then they have to sit and watch everyone else play a fun game and they cannot participate. But they should still have to do any running or sit ups or stuff like that. It will show them you mean business without dishing out the harsher punishment. And maybe you can come up with a reward system where if they go so long they get a party or a game of their choice.....and if you get so many punishments.....then you get detention. it might be an incentive to behave. Good luck, and I think it is awesome that you are volunteering to do this.